…Mask on your skin
Human skin color is quite variable around the world. It ranges from a very dark brown to a
near yellowish pink. The color of the human skin is determined by the quantity of melanin
present in the skin. When the quantity of melanin is increased, the skin gets darker.
Sun tanning or simply tanning is the process whereby skin colour is darkened or tanned.
This is a result of over exposure to Ultraviolet Radiation from the sun or from artificial sources,
such as a tanning bed. Therefore, it increases the production of melanin resulting in skin darkness.
Casual exposure to the sun has beneficial impact including the production ofVitamin D by the body;
but over exposure to ultraviolet rays has health effects, including possible sunburn, wrinkles on face
and even skin cancer.
As a matter of fact, in some Asian countries people take greater measures to lighten their skin
as much as possible. They think that skin gets darker if they exposed to more sunlight. But, this
is the opposite in the United States. Indoor tanning is very popular even though there are known
risks. Many people feel very strongly about the positive effects of tanning.
However, to help you make up your mind whether tanning is really good or bad for
you, here are some of the advantages and disadvantages of getting bronze skin.
ADVANTAGES OF TANNING:
- One of the most obvious advantages of getting a tan is that it makes you look really
attractive. White skin is good, but sun-kissed skin is even better. If you want to get that healthy
glow, spend some time under the sun.
- Another good advantage of getting a tan is that you get a good amount of vitamin D when
you spend some time under the sun. Vitamin D is important to help maintain the normal
functions of the body. Vitamin D deficiency can lead to several types of ailments.
DISADVANTAGES OF TANNING:
- Not everything about exposure to the sun is bad. Although a glorious tan can make you look
attractive, the effects of tanning is short lived. Depending on your type of skin, you are bound to
lose your tan in just a few weeks.
- Exposing yourself to the sun constantly to achieve that perfect sun-kissed look can actually
damage your skin. According to experts, skin that is constantly exposed to the sun tends to
A lot of people who spend too much time outdoors often have premature wrinkles on their faces.
- Another disadvantage of the tanning is that too much exposure to the ultraviolet rays of
the sun can cause certain types of skin cancers. Studies have shown that people who often spend
hours sunbathing are more prone to certain types of skin cancers. Note that tanning beds also
emits ultraviolet rays that can also be harmful to the skin and the body.
However, this sun exposure does a number to your skin (including drying it out), so it is
important to use a variety of different home remedies to ensure your skin is looking its best.
NATURAL HOME REMEDIES FOR TANNED SKIN:
Normally after few days, the tan fades away on its own if you take certain steps. But if
you are in a hurry to remove sun tan and get back the original skin tone, there are several home
remedies that can help you to do so. Always remember that there is a big difference between a
sunburn and a tan.
TOMATO WITH CURD:
- Tomato juice can help you as a better home remedy for tan removal.
- Mash half a tomato. Add some amount of curd and mix it well.
- Mix it well. Apply it on your hands and wherever you want to remove tan.
- Keep for minimum 20 minutes. Wash it off with water. Do it regularly for a week.(OR)
- People who are not allergic to tomato, they can directly apply the tomato without curd.
- Alternately you can also apply a mix of grated tomato and a couple of drops of lemon juice
on your face and wash it off with cold water after 20 minutes.
- The acidic nature of lemon juice makes it a very good natural ingredient for fading or removing
- Apply lemon juice on the affected area. You can rub a cut lemon directly on the skin.
- Allow the lemon juice to get soaked up by your skin for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Some people may face burning sensation or rashes when they apply lemon.
- So, its suggested to mix lemon juice with sugar and apply it.
- This is helpful if you have darker knees or elbows from sun exposure.
- Lemon juice mixed with glycerin is also great remedy for tan removal.
- Raw potato juice is the best natural remedy for tanned skin.
- It acts as natural bleach and will counter the effects of tanning.
- Apply the juice directly on the areas of skin that have been tanned.
- A mixture of potato juice and lemon juice in equal proportions can also help get rid of the effects
of the suntan.(OR)
- To remove sun tan, grate potatoes and sun dry it well.
- Crush it well and store in an airtight container.
- Whenever you want to remove sun tan, just add a little milk powder and make a paste with
- Apply it on your face and let it stay for about 15-20 minutes. Wash well.
- Mix yogurt with lemon juice and apply it on your skin daily before bath.
- This is one of the best remedy for reducing sun tan.(OR)
- Just take the plain fresh home-made yogurt and apply it on the skin.
- Leave it for 10 minutes, after that wash it off with cold water and apply a good moisturizer.
- I advise doing it at night before sleeping because I found it more effective.
- You can also use yogurt with honey if you have dry skin.
- Cucumber juice can also be used as a natural bleaching agent in the same manner as potato.
- Applying peels or slices of cucumber on the skin can make a significant difference.(OR)
- Apply cucumber juice on your face for 10 minutes after tanning.
- Vitamin C in cucumber juice can moisturize your skin naturally and helps you improve your skin
tone. You can also rub freshly cut slices of cucumber on your skin.(OR)
- Paste of cucumber and honey is also very useful for soothing the redness due to sun-tan.
- Aloe vera gel is an excellent remedy for taking care of dark tans.
- Apply Aloe vera gel on your skin regularly to soothe the skin and remain hydrated.
- You can also go for an easy remedy; just take few leaves of Aloe vera plant and mash them.
- Mix lemon juice in it and apply the puree to the affected areas. It also helps to cleanse clear and
- Make a paste of two teaspoon of oatmeal with half teaspoon curd and one teaspoon tomato juice.
- Apply this pack on your skin.
- Keep it for 20 minutes or till the time it gets dry. Then wash it away with water.
- Use of natural scrub like oatmeal (add warm water to oatmeal, mix it well to form a paste) helps
to remove dead skin cells and stimulate blood circulation.
- Curd is one of the best remedy to reduce tan.
- Apply curd on face for 5 min and wash it off.
- For more effective results add turmeric to curd and leave it on for 20 min, as turmeric is a
natural bleach,this will make skin fairer.
- Buttermilk is another proven recipe to fade the sun tan. Wash you face with Buttermilk regularly
for a few days and you would notice the difference.
- Papaya enzymes are one of the best effective for the removal of tan and pigmentation.
- You can rub raw papaya juice or even the ripe papaya pulp on the skin, as it is great for
removing the dark patches on your face.
TURMERIC POWDER AND MILK:
- Take 3 tablespoons of milk and add to it one tablespoon of turmeric powder.
- Apply all over the face or affected areas. Leave it to dry.
- Rub in circular motions and then rinse off.
- It not only helps to remove tan it also helps remove fine facial hair.
- The natural anti-microbial, and the anti-oxidant properties found in honey protect the skin from
the damaging UV rays.
- Take honey, curd and lemon in equal quantities and mix well. Apply it on the areas affected by
the damaging sun rays. Rinse with cold water after it dries completely.
- Add one lime juice to two tbsp of honey. Mix well and apply on the sun burnt areas of the skin.
- It comforts the burning sensation, and also helps lighten the skin color.
- In respect to all the above tips, Once in a week make a paste of Besan with 2tbsp of curd, a pinch
- And rub it well on your hands; massage it for 10-15 minutes.
- Don’t go out for an hour after doing this massage.
Besides these skin care tips for removing tanned skin, here are some tips that will help in
enhancing their effect.
- Wear sunscreen with an SPF of at least 15 every day, even on cloudy days.
- Apply sunscreen thickly and frequently.
- Reapply sunscreen every 1½ to 2 hours and after swimming or sweating.
- Wear clothing that covers your body or gloves to cover your hands.
- Wear a hat or carry umbrella to protect your head and face.
- Wear sunglasses that protect your eyes from UV rays.